Burnt Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GURPS players request

2 posters

Go down

GURPS players request Empty GURPS players request

Post by Spiritcurse Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm going to run a GURPS game over IRC sometime soon, set in 2032, if I get enough players. I don't mind if you're new, just send me a mostly filled in character sheet. Or hell, a description, and I'll do it.

The setting is near future ukraine, in 2032, after the war in the middle east uncovers new technology in an Iranian base, and then it goes worldwide. Cue the wars, then the MEDCs sending a collective "fuck you" to the third world and forming the Coalition, placing most of the world under martial law. After this, the Resitance crops up, consisting of rebel freedom fighters wanting to liberate the control and the technology.

In game terms, no status above 2, no military/police rank above 3, no esotoric/supernatural advantages unless granted by cybernetics and GM permission. $30000 starting wealth, players are encouraged to save roughly 50% of this, but don't have to. 100 points, 40 point disadvantage limit. Control rating 3, so LC4+ things are fine, purchase military rank for LC3, ask me for LC2 or less (and be prepared to give reasons and take unusual backgrounds, rank, etc). TL is 9, but no uploading technology is allowed for any reason (not forbidden, just simply not invented yet). Players may take one level of one psi power, but no training. This represents power latency, which you'll find out about in-game.

Any takers? PM, email or MSN me your sheets, and post here if you're in.
Spiritcurse
Spiritcurse
Demi-Assassin
Demi-Assassin

https://burntlegion.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

GURPS players request Empty Re: GURPS players request

Post by Great Unclean One Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Sounds good, but what do you mean by uploading tech?
Great Unclean One
Great Unclean One
Addicted Poster
Addicted Poster

Location : At the head of an intergalactic pirate fleet heading straight for Manchester!

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritcurse Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Uploading technology is used to cut a human brain onto a computer, and run it as a program. It bypasses the need to create self-aware AI. And yes, cut, not copy. The brain is destroyed in the process.

The reason why not is because otherwise it's possible to, for enough money, get your brain put into a computer and then play out the game as a building, a tank or a robot. And that's annoying, and unrealistic. Contrasts with the setting too, because either get rid of it, or, for realism, have nearly all soldiers as invincible, regenerating cyborgs.
Spiritcurse
Spiritcurse
Demi-Assassin
Demi-Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritcurse Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:37 pm

More background, and detail on rules.

The year is 2032, and the war for the Middle East only ended 4 years ago. What began as a simple peacekeeping mission escalated quickly when forces at an abandoned Iranian base found something completely unexpected. Not nuclear weapons, as was thought by the media, but biological weaponry and cybernetics, along with research notes to create "the ultimate human... the ubermensch". The UN forces quickly moved to destroy the devices, but as always, some information was leaked. It is unclear how they built cybernetic technology, but many notes in the lab seemed signed by a "Zakharovski", presumably a genius scientist.

From these breakthroughs, scientific progress soared. New drugs and miracle cures were developed, and this led the way for implantable technology and bionics. At last, humanity had thrown off the shackles of technological stagnation, and the whole world felt the effects. Soldiers were being trained with their weapons and armour built in, and powered suits of armour became a common battlefield sight.

Naturally, before long the technology becomes so powerful that wars break out, but tend to be over in days, due to the development of compact nuclear weapons. The powerful nations, the G8, converge together and decide to unify their power into one large authority. Historically, on the 14th of March, 2030, the world split into two main groups - the haves, and the have-nots. Even more than ever, the world was divided, and the poorer countries sunk into anarchy and in-fighting. The Coalition, as they became known, sought to control the advances of mankind, while the Resistance fought to free them.

Despite the wars, the life of the common man has become far better. The average lifespan throughout the Coalition is above 100 for the first time in history, and the killer diseases - MRSA, AIDS and malaria have been eradicated worldwide. The only technologies thought possible that turned out not to be was commercial quantum computing, mass space travel and mind uploading. However, a moon base was constructed, and currently lays host to over 700 Coalition personnel.

The technology is questionable. No doubt some of it can be put to good use - scientists looking at the bonds in the nervous systems were able to create a chemical to slow global warming, and the cybernetics themselves were able to cease disease, aging and decay. Therein lies the problem. The Coalition wish to treat this as any technology, marketing it and keeping it to those who can pay. The Resistance want to free this for all people, and often resort to terrorism and destruction in the pursuit of this goal. They see themselves as freedom fighters, and the Coalition as a police state. The Coalition believe that it is only through limiting technological advances that peace can be spread, and this applies to the good technology, as well as the weapons of war.

The players take the role of Resistance or Coalition soldiers, or even simple civilians, battling over the fate of a Coalition controlled country in the east of what used to be Europe, called Ukrayna. They begin with $10000, and 100 character points with a 40 point disadvantage limit.

Languages spoken include Ukraynian and Russian, as well as many English immigrants. Largely, the natives will speak Ukraynian fluently, Russian well, and know some English. The Coalition soldiers serve as protectors, police, and de facto rulers, although they must still abide by basic human rights. Punishments are usually whatever the soldiers deem fitting, although conscription is more common than execution. Trials are non-existent, except for soldiers, who face a court-martial. The governmental type is a military dictatorship, although most gangs are able to enforce their own unofficial rulership, at least until the Coalition finds out.

There is no magic or alternate planes, and the gods are believed in, but not real. Psionic technology is whispered about by Resistance soldiers, but confirmed by nobody. Should a PC wish, they may take 1 level of latent psi talents, but no more. The only race is human, but with the bio-tech available, this definition is becoming more and more unclear. Players may not take wealth above Wealthy, Status above 2, or any rank above 3. No cinematic advantages may be taken, and nor may exotic or supernatural traits without the GMs permission. The control rating is CR4.

If I get enough players, I'll run two simultaneous games, one for Coalition, one for Resistance, but expect them to intertwine. Otherwise, you'll all have to play the same side, or neutrals. Of course, spies are encouraged, so don't be disheartened if they decision goes against you.

Last edited by Spiritcurse on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : $30000 was ridiculous, money lowered to 10k)
Spiritcurse
Spiritcurse
Demi-Assassin
Demi-Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down